As the age progresses, loosening and sagging occur on the neck skin as well as on the face. Thus, the angle between the neck and the chin disappears. In those who gain and lose a lot of weight and those with a small lower jaw and back, the skin under the neck becomes slack at an earlier age. In overweight people, fat is added to the abundance of skin in the area under the chin, which we call folk mouth and jowl.
How do we decide on neck aesthetic surgery?
Generally, obvious signs of aging occur in the face and neck area in women over the age of 55. Deep wrinkles in the eye and forehead, ringing under the eye, prominent laughing lines, lowering of the rim, squaring of the jaw corners due to the accumulation of skin there, vertical bands formed as a result of the loosening of the neck muscles and the abundance of pouch-like skin under the chin. are the headed ones. When skin specialists detect these findings, we apply face, eyelid and neck lift procedures together.
How is neck lift surgery performed?
Neck liftIn surgery, an incision is made that extends from the front of the ear to the earlobe and then turns behind the ear. The skin of the face and neck is freed. The soft tissue of the face containing the mimic muscles is hung upwards with stitches. Excess skin is removed and sutured to the incision in front of and behind the ear. If there is a fat meeting in the jowl area under the chin, it is removed by liposuction. Vertical bands in the neck area are released with a 3-4 cm horizontal incision under the chin and an inner corset is formed by sewing each other. Sagging of the neck skin becomes evident at an earlier age in people with a small lower jaw. With the prostheses placed on the chin tip, the chin can be clarified during the neck lift procedure. Thus, the face profile is also restored. The operation is performed under general anesthesia. Since other parts of the face are also intervened in addition to neck lift, the operation time varies between 5 and 7 hours.
Also Read: 2021 Bahrain Tumor Marker Market Assessment
What should be considered before the operation?
Aspirin-like drugs that may increase bleeding should be discontinued before neck lift surgery . Smoking should be stopped 3 weeks before surgery. Since the hair cannot be dyed for 1 month after surgery, it can be dyed 1 week in advance. Keeping the hair long will be beneficial in concealing the dressings used after surgery.
Will there be any visible scars after neck lift surgery?
The scars that will occur are minimized with the special sewing and dressing materials that are generally used. Surgical incisions are made along natural skin folds and are hidden behind the ear and in the scalp. If the complications described below (bleeding, infection, skin loss seen frequently in smokers) develop, the wound healing will be delayed and there may be scars requiring treatment.
What should be considered after the surgery?
One day after the surgery, a drain is removed from the ear to prevent the accumulation of fluids in the area. Post-operative ice application speeds up the healing process. You are discharged on the second day of the surgery. Sunglasses may be brought along to wear on discharge. Sutures on the face and eyelids are removed in 1 week. Metal stitches inside the hair are removed on the 10th day. You can take a bath 2 days after the operation. It's normal to have numbness on the face that resolves in about a few weeks. Use gentle gestures while brushing your hair while applying makeup. At least two weeks should avoid heavy exercises such as sex and heavy household chores, and activities such as alcohol, steam bath, and sauna should be avoided for a few months. Sunscreen creams should be used regularly for up to 6 months. Swelling and bruises disappear in 3 weeks. Usually 2.
What are the risks of neck lift surgery?
- Bleeding: Although rare, bleeding problem may be encountered during or after the neck lift operation. If bleeding occurs after the operation, emergency drainage treatment or blood transfusion may be required. The use of aspirin and similar drugs should be stopped ten days before the operation because they increase the risk of bleeding. Hypertension that is not under medical control can also cause bleeding during or after the operation. Bleeding under the skin can delay healing and cause bad scarring.
- Infection: Infection is usually not expected after this surgery. In rare cases, if an infection develops, additional antibiotic therapy or surgery may be required.
- Bad scars: Although a good wound healing is expected after surgical intervention, scars may occur due to some genetic features, infection or skin loss we encounter in smokers. Additional treatments may be required for these scars.
- Nerve damage: Motor and sensory nerves may be damaged during the facelift operation. There may be weakness or loss in facial movements after the face lift operation. Nerve damage can cause temporary or permanent loss of facial movements and sensation. This type of damage can heal over time. Damage to the sensory nerves of the face, neck and ear area can cause temporary or permanent numbness. Painful nerve is very rare.
- Hair loss: During the surgery, hair loss may occur in the areas where the skin is pulled up. Whether this will happen or not cannot be predicted.
- Long-term effects: As a result of old age, weight gain or loss, exposure to the sun, and some other conditions, the percentage may follow these changes. Facelift surgery does not stop aging or provide constant tension of the face and neck. New surgeries and treatments may be required in the future to preserve the results of facelift surgery.