Labor costs are high in New Zealand. If you are planning to renovate your old house it is likely you will want to do it on your own instead of calling in experts. There is nothing wrong in DIY house repairs since you can save on labor costs and use that money to do more. However, when you attempt renovations in old houses you are likely to come across asbestos. Drilling it, chipping it or cutting it is likely to pose health risks. This is why it is best to call in specialists in asbestos removal Nz and let them handle the asbestos removal part. Some may ask why it cannot be done on your own.
If you plan to remove asbestos on your own
You can attempt to remove asbestos on your own. However, this is what you will have to keep in mind:
- Identify the presence of asbestos in your property and the condition. If it is in loose form is it properly enclosed and contained? If it is compounded asbestos does it appear brittle and does it break easily?
- You will need to don protective mask and also clothing when you handle asbestos for removal.
- Make sure you damp down the material so that particles of asbestos do not come loose and disperse into the air when you handle it.
- Spread a sheet of thick gauge plastic and place all asbestos material in the sheet and secure it so that asbestos is fully encased. You may have to follow proper disposal procedure. It cannot be dumped anywhere.
- Check for trace remnants of asbestos and use extreme care to dislodge these and collect the asbestos without spilling it or dispersing it.
- Once you have completed the work you will need to dispose of the mask and contaminated clothing.
- For peace of mind, you may want to check air quality which may be beyond you without proper equipment. You may have to call asbestos removal Nz specialists since they have such devices.
- Before you proceed you may find it advisable to read Worksafe booklet “Removing Asbestos from Your Home.”
However, not everything may proceed smoothly. Old material may be stubborn and will not come away easily. Then again it may have become brittle and will break into pieces and powder may disperse into the air. Saving money is at the expense of putting your health at risk and that of those occupying the premises.
It is better to call in asbestos removal Nz specialists
If you are handling only a small amount of compounded asbestos you can do it on your own. If the quantity is more and the condition of asbestos is brittle then you will find it is better to call in asbestos removal Nz specialists. They have the equipment to test asbestos and test air quality and the knowledge of the safest removal practices. You do pay for their services but you are not exposed to risk. Assess Control Assure, asbestos removal Nz specialists are the ones to call.
Assess Control Assure are WHS licensed and offer expert as well as affordable asbestos removal Nz services.