The milling cutter plays a significant role in the machining process, affects the tool life, product quality, results, production time, and more. In various CNC milling operations introduced in CNClathing.com, various tools required for different operations, so the selection and application of the milling cutter are important.
The Selection and Clamping of Milling Cutter
1. Choose the appropriate milling cutter diameter according to the width and depth of milling. Generally, the width and depth of milling are large and deep, and the larger the milling cutter diameter is. A kind of
2. The milling cutter diameter shall be selected according to the workpiece material and processing requirements. Generally, when milling plastic materials or rough machining, the coarse tooth milling cutter shall be selected. When milling brittle materials or finish machining, the medium and fine tooth milling cutter shall be selected. A kind of
3. When installing the milling cutter on the horizontal milling machine, try to make the milling cutter close to the main shaft and the bracket close to the milling cutter without affecting the processing. A kind of
4. When the milling cutter is installed on the vertical milling machine, the short shank shall be selected as far as possible without affecting the milling. A kind of
5. After the milling cutter is installed, its radial and end face runout shall meet the accuracy requirements of the workpiece to be processed. Generally, the smaller the jumping value, the better.
In addition, there are some rules need to take during the milling:
– Before milling, adjust the machine tool and lock the unused moving direction. A kind of
– When the machine moves rapidly, the normal feed speed shall be changed before approaching the workpiece to prevent the collision between the cutter and the workpiece. A kind of
– In order to improve the tool durability, the milling consumption is generally about 25% smaller than that of the cylindrical milling cutter. A kind of
– When cutting the workpiece, the milling cutter shall be close to the fixture as much as possible to increase the stability during cutting.