No matter where in the world you live, as a British expatriate you will need good, reliable and credible cross border emigration & financial planning advice.

For a UK resident, the majority of the time, financial planning is reasonably straightforward and there is a huge array of professionals available who can guide you through your financial planning. However, when moving overseas, a new tax jurisdiction needs to be taken into account; you will likely leave assets or sources of income behind in the UK, therefore you will need to consider the cross border implications.

A good example of where cross border advice becomes valuable is when you access your traditionally tax free 25% lump sum payment from a UK pension. This payment for a UK resident is clearly defined as ‘tax free’. However, there are some countries that will tax this payment as an income, therefore care needs to be taken on how and when you access this money. An easy solution could be to access your 25% payment whilst you are UK resident and defer taking an income until you are ready.

As you can see, cross border financial planning doesn’t have to be rocket science, however speaking with someone who is aware of the common issues for British expats is certainly sensible.

If you are emigrating, the areas you should be considering are:

Pension Planning

When do I want to access my pensions and how should I do it (QROPS or through a UK pension)?

Investment Planning

Do I need to invest my money in a particular way that makes it tax efficient in the country I now live in? Do I need to be concerned about FATCA reporting if I’m a USA connected individual?

Protection Planning

Is my life / critical illness cover I created whilst living in the UK valid should I move overseas? Can a get more cost effective cover denominated in the currency of the country I now live in?

Explore more at following services:

Individual Financial Planning

From life insurance to mortgages, pensions to investment services, Alexander Beard Group can provide you with a comprehensive package of services.

Employee Benefits

Our International Employee Benefits business is based both at our UK head office, The Netherlands, France and Canada.

Expat and Emigration

No matter where in the world you live, as a British expatriate you will need good, reliable and credible cross border financial planning advice.

International Retirement Plans for Schools

Financial advice and on-going service for International Schools and Expatriate workers in the International Charities and NGO sectors including retirement, healthcare, life insurance and regular savings plans.

Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes (QROPS)

Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Schemes (QROPS) registration was introduced by Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs on the 6th April 2006 (‘A’ Day) and allows for transferring UK pensions to an overseas jurisdiction provided that the receiving pension scheme in that country has ‘QROPS’ registered status.